Friday, August 1, 2008

The end of July

So, it again has been a while, but this time I was on vacation. Either because I was too lazy to write songs down or just simply too busy having a good time, I didn't have a ton of songs in my head this past ten days. But a lot of them sucked, so it wasn't necessarily happy all the time in California.

June 23:
5:00 pm: New Edition - Candy Girl

I don't even know why this song even exists. It's the most blatant rip-off of ABC by the Jackson Five, which is almost as irritating to listen to. The songs are so similar that when I heard ABC on the radio a few days ago, I had to reconsider whether I actually had Candy Girl stuck in my head. Was it a different song, or just lyrics changed in ABC? Apparently, these two options are not mutually exclusive, according to the "lets save money on songwriting" music industry. New Edition should call themselves "Same Old Shit."

June 24:
2:00 pm: Tally Hall - Just Apathy

I listened to Tally Hall on a 6 hour car ride, and this is the song that happened to get stuck in my head. This actually confuses me a little bit. Now, I'm not confused that Tally Hall was stuck in my head, just that it was this song. This is one of my least favorite songs off their only album (though they had the courtesy to release it twice, and even the first time, they had already released most of the material), but it happened to be the one that inhabited my brain while at lunch that day. I have two theories. One: the song was very catchy. I don't entirely believe this, though. Good Day and Banana Man were their two singles, and I assume the band would release their catchiest songs as their singles. However, Just Apathy does represent the poppier side of their wonky sound. Two: I don't listen to the song as often. This is a little more believable. I often skip Just Apathy, along with Be Born and Two Wuv, when I feel like listening only to songs I really like. So, given that the song was fresher, I wasn't as familiar with the song, listened more intently, and then was rewarded by having it in my brain later that day. Well, I guess it's a combination of those two factors, plus the fact that it was one of the last songs I listened to before the car ride was over. Either way, it's a good song, and I don't mind it in my head. Even if it wasn't, almost anything is better than Candy Girl.

3:00 pm: Spock's Beard - Planet's Hum
(this song is not on youtube)
Since most of you haven't heard this, I'll save you the trouble of reading commentary about it and simply tell you that I listened to this song by itself while Ari (my girlfriend) was waiting in line for the restroom, and then it was in my head for the next 15-20 minutes. But seriously, Spock's Beard is awesome.

July 26:
3:00 pm: Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
Embedding is disabled, but I don't want to subject you to the horror that is Avril Lavigne if I don't have to. The video is even worse than the song--Lavigne cuts in on a happy relationship because she thinks she's cooler than this guy's nerdy girlfriend. What they don't tell you is that this girlfriend can write her own songs, make lyrics that rhyme, and control her post-menstrual symptoms. Anyway, this got in my head through an insidious spiral. I heard "You Got Me Rocking" by the Stones on the radio, which has a line "Hey hey you..." that repeats. Then I remembered the whole seemingly ridiculous plagiarism deal with that song. But then I looked it all up and it actually has some merit...

Man, don't you love the music industry?

July 30:
9:00 am: Pokemon Card Parody of Milkshake

So, a friend left this on my facebook wall on July 24th: "In the interest of achieving web fame through your blog... Ahem. "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard..." Obviously, I will not name names, because then he wins. But after a week of sitting and cooking in my head, Milkshake emerged in my head in parodic form. (Actually, I have heard that version more...sad, huh?)

1:00 pm: Boston - Don't Look Back

Ahh, good song again. Boston is amazing. And Tom Scholz (the lead guitarist) is my new hero. Here's why:
1. He was the lead guitarist for an amazing band.
2. He's a brain (He graduated from MIT with a masters in mechanical engineering).
3. He's done a lot of nonprofit work
4. When Barry Goudreau (the other Boston guitarist), a fan of Mike Huckabee, let Huckabee use "More than a Feeling" as a campaign song, Scholz got pissed and had it pulled.
5. He invented a portable headphone guitar amp, the Rockman
Must I say more? Oh yeah, he's Obama supporter too.

So that's it for July. Hopefully I'll update this more often in August.

No comments: