Sunday, July 13, 2008

July 12-13

July 12:
Today was a great day, music-wise. The only songs stuck in my head were ideas that I had been working on the past few days. I've noticed that when I write songs, not all of them stick in my head, so I try to only hold on to the ones that do. It's obviously not the greatest idea for a filter--while it definitely proves that the song is somewhat catchy (at least to me), "Elmo's Song" did end up polluting my aural canals for a little while. So I can't count on it to weed out all the bad stuff. But I put the stuff that doesn't under "filler material" in my mental musical fining cabinet.

July 13:
5:00 pm: Some song I don't know
I seriously have no idea what this song was. I listened to classic rock on an hour and a half car ride from Tucson back to Phoenix, so this may have been one of those songs. But my mind picks up music before lyrics, and I only got the music (which I have now forgotten). So I have no way of knowing if this is a song at all. I often create music in my head when I'm bored, so this may just have been that.

10:00 pm: The B52's - Love Shack

This song rivals Thriller in overall catchiness, and in just being a good song. I don't know anyone who doesn't like Love Shack (except one of my little brother's friends, who probably just hasn't realized its true greatness yet).

10:05 pm: Blind Melon - No Rain

I went to Tucson again, and it didn't happen there, but it hit me tonight. Seriously, "Love Shack" and "No Rain" have been bouncing back and forth in my head for the past 15 minutes. I may have been immune if I hadn't had a conversation in the car with my friend Amy about various music. Apparently it was stuck in her head yesterday instead of mine. Weird. Oh well, at least it's a good song. Too bad Blind Melon's vocalist Shannon Hoon (awesome name by the way) had to croak. I just wikipedia-ed them, and apparently they've reformed with a new frontman in 2006. And they released a greatest hits album, even though they only had one hit, and only two real albums.

No comments: