Saturday, July 12, 2008

July 4-July 11

July 4:
12:30 pm: Michael Jackson - Thriller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-nSCb9MnPM&feature=related
(wont let me embed :( )

This is one song I really don't mind if it gets stuck in my head, and it's been in there often. Ever since I decided to go show my girlfriend the video of the Filipino prisoners dancing to it (and later we watched ridiculous videos of little kids dancing and singing, one of which also happened to be to Thriller), it hasn't left my head for very long. It's a pretty awesome song, and I'm planning on learning to cover it with my band (www.myspace.com/thepedestriansaz if you care) as soon as everyone gets back to ASU this fall. It's awesome.

4:50 pm: The Beatles - I Want You
I was about to eat dinner and this little ditty got in my head. Maybe I really wanted the dinner. Maybe I'm looking too deep into my subconscious.


July 5:
4:00 pm:
David Hasselhoff - Hooked on a Feeling
In the aforementioned youtube spree, we ended up watching the video of David Hasselhoff with his terrible green screen escapades. And now it has come back to haunt me. Wonderful.

4:05 pm: Weird Al - I Love Rocky Road
And this is the song that came out when I started to sing another one to get it out of my head. Why the parody and not the Joan Jett rock anthem? Probably because I listened to too much Weird Al as a kid.

7:40 pm: Umbrella - Rihanna
This song is so fucking catchy. It's not bad, but fuck, it never goes away!

9:50 pm: Barbie Girl
Don't even ask. I haven't heard this song in at least a year, but apparently junior high dances have scarred me for life.

July 6:
6:00 pm: Weird Al - The Saga Begins
Somehow, the "we took a bongo from the scene" lyric came into my head. I spent about 5 minutes wondering if that was from anything else besides that song, while replaying that line along with the "we went to Theed to see the queen" about a million times in my head. As I'm googling it now, I'm getting only web sites with lyrics, so it is still a mystery.

6:10 pm: Michael Jackson - Thriller
It's back.

July 8:
1:25 am: Reefer Madness (Theme)
I saw Nearly Naked Theater's production of Reefer Madness on Wednesday. It was incredible, and now the theme is in my head.

July 10:
1:40 am: The Fairly Odd Parent Theme Song
I haven't watched this show in a while, and I'm about to go to bed. Weird.

12:15 pm: Camptown Races
All I can say is "wow." I didn't think songs that only exist in books made to help annoy their parents on long car rides (and the opening to Camp Lazlo) would find their way into to my brain. I guess my subconscious is pissed at me.

July 11:
12:35 am: Sesame Street: Elmo's Song

It only gets worse. I saw this on a tape entitled "The Best of Elmo" around a year and a half ago when babysitting a little kid. In the clip, Elmo plays Big Bird and Snuffy a song he's written on the piano. The song is simply a display of Elmo's narcissism--the lyrics simply tell the listener that it is his song and that he wrote both the lyrics and music. Next, in a display of overt plagiarism, Big Bird sings the same song, but changes the lyrics to make it his song, not Elmo's. Finally, Snuffy, in a display of overt plagiarism and even more overt unoriginality, does the same. This lame ditty, I suppose, is geared to teach aspiring young musicians the basics of the recording industry. And it's in my head. Hooh-rah.

That's it for this past week. I'm heading up to Tucson this weekend--the last time I did, Blind Melon's only hit "No Rain" was running in my head all day. I'm hoping I'll be a little luckier this time.

1 comment:

neuromusic said...

this is cool project!

btw, check out Radiolab's episode on Earworms

-Justin